Are you craving that healthy, colorful salad that actually fills you up instead of making you more hungry? Us too! Don't tease yourself with a salad and expect to be full from it unless you fill it with protein and tons of style. So, we've compiled a “go-t0” list for topping on a summer's favorite classic, a Nicoise Salad! Do you have any secret toppings for your salads? Let us know!
-2 oz. turnip or celery root
-5 oz. fresh green beans
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1 – 2 finely chopped garlic cloves (optional)
-5 oz. baby gem lettuce or Romaine lettuce
-2 oz. cherry tomatoes
-½ red onion
-1 can tuna in olive oil
-2 oz. olives
-salt and pepper
-½ tbsp Dijon mustard
-2 tbsp small capers
-½ oz. anchovies
-1⁄3 cup olive oil
-¼ cup mayonnaise
-1 tbsp fresh parsley
-½ lemon, the juice
-1 minced garlic clove (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing using a mixer or an immersion blender until fully combined and creamy. Set aside.
- Boil the eggs the way you like them, soft or hard boiled. Place them immediately in ice-cold water when they are done to make them easier to peel. Cut them into wedges.
- Wash and peel the turnips. Cut them in half-inch pieces. Wash and trim the green beans and parboil both for 5 minutes in lightly salted water. Use separate pans. Rinse in cold water when done.
- Place a skillet on medium high heat and fry the green beans in butter or olive oil. Add finely chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place lettuce on a serving plate or on individual plates. Add tomatoes, onion, drained tuna, eggs, beans, olives and turnip. Serve with dressing on the side.