Baked Broccoli and Chicken
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts on the bone, skin and fat removed
- ½ cup strong prepared rooibos tea
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 strips of lemon rind, cut with a vegetable peeler
- ¾ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 8 tsp cornflour, mixed with a little water to form a paste
- 2 ½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 14 oz broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup frozen peas, rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- lemon juice, and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 180/350° C/F.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sear the chicken until brown. Add tea, bay leaf, and lemon rind.
Cover with a lid and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until cooked through, but not dry. Spoon out chicken, and allow to cool slightly. Remove chicken from bones and shred meat.
Mix yogurt, cornflour, milk, and add to the liquid in the pan. Stir over a low heat until thoroughly mixed.
Add rosemary and broccoli florets. Cover with the lid for 1-2 minutes. Stir in peas, salt, and chicken. Season with lemon juice and pepper.