Chicken and barley soup
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts on the bone, skin and fat removed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 4 zucchinis, chopped
- 8 cups strong rooibos tea
- 1 cup water
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- ¼ tsp salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Add water to a large pot. Add chicken and boil until fully cooked. Skim scum off the top.
Once cooked, remove chicken and set aside to cool. Add remaining ingredients to broth and bring to a boil.
Once cool, remove chicken meat from bone and cut into small pieces. (4) Return to broth and simmer for 2 hours.