5 Summer Picnic Must Haves for Type 2’s
It’s heating up and our favorite way to enjoy this warm weather is to find a shady spot outdoors to enjoy a meal. From breakfast to dinner you can enjoy a picnic outside that is delicious, beautiful and healthy for type 2’s! Here are five must haves for your picnic basket this summer.
1. Starter plant based dips
Start your picnic off with a delicious plant based dip, served with a fresh veggie platter. Enjoy your fresh veggies in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes. For your plant based dips choose between hummus, bean dip, greek yogurt and mint dressing, or guacamole.
2. Salad in a jar
Making hearty salads in a jar makes them portable and easy to eat anywhere and anytime. Start by putting some dressing like lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper at the bottom of the jar and then begin chopping your favorite veggies, leafy greens and proteins on top. This creates beautiful layers, colors and a well rounded salad.
3. Low Carb Wraps To-Go
You can always prepare the wraps and cut them into pinwheels, served with toothpicks. But, if you aren’t sure how long it will be between leaving home and enjoying your wraps, make it picnic assembly ready. Simply pack your tortilla(s) or low carb wraps rolled up in a small piece of tin foil with the fillers packed separately in a lunch portion sized container. You can assemble them at the picnic location. Find low carb or keto wraps at your grocery store. Be sure to not only look for low carbs but find a wrap that has whole grains so you can also get the benefits of fiber and other important nutrients, such as B vitamins, iron, folate, selenium, potassium and magnesium. OR, if you have time you can even make your own low carb tortillas using this almond flour recipe.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 6 tablespoon psyllium husks Not psyllium husk powder * See notes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup warm water not boiling ** See notes
- In a large mixing bowl, add your almond flour, psyllium husks, and salt. Mix well.
- Slowly add your olive oil and warm water and mix well, until completely combined. Let sit for a minute.
- Gently knead the dough several times, and form a ball of dough. Place the dough on a lightly floured kitchen surface.
- Cut the dough into 4 large or 8 small pieces. Get one piece of dough and place a piece of parchment paper on top. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until thin and flat. Get a large dinner plate or small appetizer plate and place on top of the dough. Using a knife, cut around the edges so you are left with a tortilla.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium and lightly grease. Place the tortilla on top and cook for 2-3 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further two minutes. Repeat until all the tortillas are cooked.
* This must be whole psyllium husks, not the powder form.
** Warm tap water, not hot.
4. Picnic Drinks
For your delicious picnic, choose to stay hydrated and healthy with flavored water, or unsweet ice tea. Instead of a high sugar, high calorie drink, adding a wedge of lime or lemon, mint or basil, cucumber or strawberries etc. to your water is calorie free and tasty! The more you choose water over sugary drinks the better.
5. Fruit Kabob Dessert
We love that these are portable, that you can keep your hands clean and that the fruit stays fresher than a fruit salad. Instead of cookies, pastries or other sugary sweets, opt for the natural sugar- fruit! Fruit not only hydrates you but has so many vitamins and nutrients we need. Citrus fruits contain vitamins A and C, bananas contain potassium and tryptophan, and pears contain vitamin K. A diet rich in vitamins can help support your immune system, keeps your eyes and skin healthy, supports bone health, and more. Fruit is also rich in fiber and water. So choose your fruits and cut them into bite sized pieces, put them onto a skewer and squeeze a lemon over the kabobs to lock in freshness. Type 2’s should enjoy fruit in moderation, stick to one or two fruit kabobs at your picnic to satisfy your sweet tooth.
We hope you have a very tasty picnic with these healthy must haves and enjoy all of the benefits that come from picnicking. Spending time outside breathing the fresh air, getting your daily dose of vitamin D, and de-stressing while eating in nature is one of our favorite summer pastimes. For more ideas on and support in living a healthy lifestyle with type 2 diabetes check out our online community Winning Type 2 Diabetes Together!