Asian Inspired Chicken Salad
Looking for a side dish to spruce up your dinner or lunch table? This colorful salad will do exactly that! Don't make a boring salad, make your salad all of the colors of the rainbow and surely everyone will want to eat that! Filled with spicy and sweet, this is the perfect salad!
For the Dressing:
- 2 – 3 dates
- ½ cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
For the Chicken:
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon Five Spice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
For the Salad:
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (we used green and purple cabbage)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- ½ cup green onion, sliced
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- One 10.7 ounce can Whole 30 compliant mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 mango, diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
Make the dressing:
- Chop the dates into small pieces. Soften the dates in hot water for 10 minutes and drain.
- Blend the dates, olive oil, and sesame oil in a food processor until emulsified (approximately 1-2 minutes). Add all other ingredients to the food processor and pulse until completely combined. Scrape down the sides of the processor as needed. Set aside.
Make the chicken:
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, Five Spice, garlic powder, and pepper to make a spice mixture. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Drizzle the chicken with 1 teaspoon olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the spice mixture and toss to coat thoroughly and evenly. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Place the chicken in a pan in a single layer and cook until crispy and brown, about 4 minutes. Flip each piece over and cook until done, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Make the salad:
- In a large bowl, add the shredded cabbage and carrots, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper, tossing to coat evenly.
- Add the green onions, almonds, mandarin oranges, mango (optional), and chicken bits.
- Add ½ cup of the dressing and toss to coat thoroughly. Serve garnished with black sesame seeds and the remaining dressing on the side.