Healthy Holiday Turkey
In honor of the holiday season, we wanted you to have a chance to WOW your guests with this delicious, juicy low carb turkey smothered in butter! A treat you won't feel guilty eating, makes plenty of leftovers, and will surely impress your guests! Let's get started!
LOW CARB GARLIC BUTTER ROAST TURKEY
-One 12-14 pound whole turkey giblets + neck removed, rinsed + patted dry
-6 fresh sage leaves divided
-5 fresh thyme sprigs divided
-2 sprigs fresh rosemary
-3 medium onions cut into wedges
-5 medium carrots cut into 2" inch pieces
-4 celery ribs cut into 2" inch pieces
-1 lemon halved
-4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Garlic Herb Butter:
-3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
-1-1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
-1-1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
-1-1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
-1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
-5 cloves garlic minced
-2-3 teaspoons sea salt
- If your turkey is frozen, allow 2 to 3 days for it to fully defrost in the refrigerator. Remove giblets & neck, rinse & pat dry.
- To make the butter: In a medium bowl, combine butter, rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley, garlic, salt, and black pepper and stir together until smooth and combined.
- Carefully loosen the skin from the turkey breast with your hands lifting and separating the meat. Do the same for the neck as well as the thighs and legs. Gently rub half of the butter under the skin using your hands and fingers and place 3 sage leaves and 2 thyme sprigs under the skin. Tie the legs together and tuck the wings underneath the turkey, using small skewers to secure, if necessary.
- Place 1/3 of the onions, celery, carrots, 2 sage leaves, 2 thyme sprigs, 1 rosemary sprig and lemon halves inside the cavity of the turkey. Place turkey, breast side up in a large roasting pan. Melt the remaining butter in the microwave and brush an even layer over the skin of the turkey. Arrange remaining carrots, celery and herbs in the pan around the turkey. Pour chicken broth to the bottom of the pan (will be using liquid to baste turkey).
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and position the rack on the lower third of the oven. Once the oven is ready, place the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue to roast until a meat thermometer (inserted deep into the thigh but away from the bone) reads 180°F and juices in the thigh run clear when pierced with a fork, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours (or longer depending on your oven), basting with pan broth & drippings every 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Remove turkey from the pan and onto a baking sheet and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Strain and reserve pan juices for gravy!
Nutrition Facts - Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories from Fat 126
Total Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrates 2g
Happy Holidays From the CuraLife Team to you!